The Stargazer's Choice
The Best-Selling introductory Telescope for Over 30 Years is Now Better!
New product improvements for this classic include (1) a red dot, reflex, sight finder, (2) functional and visually stunning dewcap, (3) improved focusing mechanism, and (4) an extra set of replacement pads for the base
The Edmund Scientific Astroscan® is an affordable, high-performance telescope that is easy-to-use, maintenance-free and completely portable. Its wide field of view, bright images and usability make it an excellent telescope for beginner and expert stargazers alike.
The heart of the Astroscan® is its 1/8 wave, overcoated primary parabolic mirror, which provides crisp, clear images without the image-distorting effects of spherical aberration.
The Astroscan® is a Newtonian Rich-Field reflector that provides a breathtaking 3 degrees (or six full moons!) of field, literally making this instrument an open window on the universe. The wide field-of-view makes finding celestial objects far easier than with other telescopes and allows for views of deep sky objects, or groups of objects, far beyond the capacity of many other telescopes. Simply align an object that appears in the scope and sight finder. There are two separate thumbscrews for adjusting the alignment. The LED light source has an on/off switch with three positions Off / Low Intensity / High Intensity.
With the optional Barlow Lens (available separately or included in the Deluxe Package), at 16X you can view the mountains, craters and valleys on the Moon and Jupiter’s four bright satellites, while the 30X eyepiece lets you see Saturn's rings. The Astroscan® really excels, though, when you turn it to deep sky objects like galaxies, nebulae and star clusters...the Pleiades are truly stunning! A host of deep-sky wonders are visible, allowing you to view the big name attractions: colorful double stars (Albireo of Cygnus fame), star clusters (the aforementioned Pleiades), nebulae (M42 – the Great Orion Nebula) and even galaxies (where else? Andromeda). At higher magnifications, the Astroscan's® images are crisp, clear and powerful.
The Astroscan® has a unique configuration that won it the 1976 Industrial Design Award and proved to have staying power through today (go ahead and check up on the 30 years of accolades). It eliminates the cumbersome and complicated mounts typical of most telescopes. Simply place its padded base on any firm, flat surface and you are immediately ready to observe. Simple enough for a child to use the first time out, its motions are positive and natural, with nothing to tighten or adjust.
Other Features for Astronomical Excellence Include:
- Ultra-Portability with quick and easy set-up
- Extreme Stability - it is the most vibration-free and wind resistant portable made.
- Air Travel Capable - it can fly as carry-on and will fit in an overhead compartment
- Smooth Motions - hand tracking is easy and smooth, even fast moving objects can be followed with ease
- Durable and Easy to Maintain - made of high impact ABS plastic with permanently aligned and sealed optics - a plus for those with children
- Easy to Use -intuitive, great first telescope - wonderful family scope
- Requires no collimation
Astroscan® Specifications Include:
- Primary Mirror: 4 1/8" (105mm) f/4.2, 17 1/2" (445mm) F.L. parabolic, 1/8 wave, borosilicate, aluminized and overcoated
- Primary Mount: Factory pre-collimated and fixed for precise alignment
- Secondary Mount: Diagonal support mounted directly to anti-reflection coated optical window, which protects system against dust and moisture
- Eyepiece:15mm & 28mm e.f.l. 50° apparent field, standard 1 1/4" O.D. barrel
- Field of View: 3.0° at 16X
- Weight: Scope 10.75 lbs., base 2 lbs.
- Focuser: Smooth, positive-grip rubber roller type - NOW teflon-coated for increased sensitivity!
- Body: High-impact ABS, 17" long, 10" Dia.
The Astroscan® Deluxe Package includes everything in the Astroscan® Basic Package as well as a carefully chosen selection of accessories designed to improve the usability and performance of your Astroscan®, as well as protect it.
In-Optical-Path Roof Prism Erector for right-side up vision, correctly oriented left-to-right;
Plossl 12mm, 37x eyepiece;
A sun-viewing screen for viewing the Sun's disc and sunspots safely
*Never Look Directly At The Sun*
Water-resistant, sturdy nylon tote bag in handsome Astroscan Red;
Barlow 2.5x lens designed to increase magnification;
Lens cleaning kit
Full size tripod